Home-en

Caracciolo-De Sangro Foundation

Fondazione Caracciolo De Sangro

Between History, Culture and Art

Historical Notes On November 22, 1725, the noblewoman Aurelia Imperiale, Duchess of Martina Franca, widow of Don Petracone V Caracciolo, donated, by notarial deed, certain buildings, lands, and capital to the Conservatory dedicated to Santa Maria della Misericordia, located in Martina Franca, which she had established and desired for herself and her future heirs.

The Caracciolo Foundation thus established would administer the shelter for poor, orphaned, and fearful maidens, who would remain subject to the patronage of the Ducal House of Martina Franca and the Civil Authority. With Royal Assent of June 3, 1773, the Conservatory was recognized by civil law: «Concedimus et impartimus nostrum regalem assensum pro sanatione dictarum fundationum et dotationum Conservatorii iam dicti.»

With Papal Assent in 1775 it obtained authorization to guard the Holy Oil and to have the Viaticum, blessing and burial administered by the confessor chosen by the ducal household and with Legislative Decree 28/2/1897 it was normally declared a Public Charitable Institution.

GALLERY

DR8I6257
DR8I6277
DR8I6297
Martina-Franca-Conveto-ValentinaRosati-Fotoreporter-DR8I6417
DR8I6304
IMG_20241221_190351915

NEWS